3rd June, 2020 Southcoates 3.
Rose-bat willow herb, known in Tudor times as ‘codlings and cream’.
Continued directly from last blog –
- Book of Inquisitions – transcribed by members of the Yorkshire Archaeological Soc. and printed in their Record Series from 1890s onwards.
- Yorkshire Deeds – transcribed in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal.
- Calendar of Patent Rolls (rolls of parchment containing archives of central government centuries ago).
- Yorkshire Lay Subsidies.
- Meaux Abbey Chronicle – s.p.b.s various.
- Surtees Soc. – text publication society based at Durham University, transcribed primary sources relating to northern England from 1834 to present day. Was an example for similar English regional and county publishing societies which mostly adopted its rules and methods.
Finally on Southcoates, an extract from Pevsner (D. Neave) Yorkshire: York and the East Riding re the housing development on three streets off Southcoates Lane – Rustenburg and Steynburg Streets and Newbridge Road, these pairs of houses and short terraces being the ‘earliest surviving council houses in Hull’ (p. 564). Designed by Joseph Hirst, Hull’s first City Architect(?) and built 1902-03 for families displaced by the construction of Alfred Gelder Street, these new streets then on the rural fringe of east Hull.
On Southcoates Lane the Eleanor Scott Alms-houses built 1908.
(still to do Marfleet and, maybe, Stoneferry).