5th September, 2019 County maps of East Yorkshire 4.
As may be seen from the extract shown above Robert Morden’s county map as reproduced in Gibson’s edition of Camden’s Britannia, 1695 is very similar, if not identical in some respects, to the county map of 1645 already studied (s.p.b.s). For example, settlements are located by a stylised church symbol with the name nearby and Morden’s depiction of the coastline appears to be a carbon-copy of the 1645 map. Morden identifies the wapontakes (and divisions of Harthill wapontake) but does not clearly define their boundaries. As with the 1645 map, the source of the River Derwent is shown by Morden to be just north-west of Filey, this stream and the River Derwent itself forming the northern and western county boundary except that at Stamford Bridge the county boundary crossed south-west overland to the River Ouse just south of York, the Ouse then forming the county boundary to the Humber Estuary.
To focus on a couple more of Morden’s details. Enclosed parklands are shown at Swine in Holderness (?), Burstwick in Holderness, Risby, Leconfield, Wressle and Church Eaton both beside the River Derwent and at Everingham.
Morden’s map seems to be moving towards some settlement name standardisation, for example, he writes Pretorium now Patrington, Godmundingham now Goodmanham and Petravia now ‘Beverly’ – but he gives no update for Wighton al Delgovitia (Market Weighton).
Bridlington and Bridlington ‘Key’ were then two distinct places (see David Neave’s book on the History of Bridlington).
‘Gole’ (Goole) was then a village (no port before the 1820s) and in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
As with all map evidence the closer they are studied the more can be gleaned, they are a snap-shot in time.