Have completed preparation – text of 1900 words plus 3 map extracts – for main article for 2017 Barton Civic Soc. Newsletter. Article entitled ‘History of Baysgarth Park, Barton’ (south range of Baysgarth House and small bit of public park see above).
Baysgarth Park is a large, well-wooded public park to the south of Barton’s built-up area. Its history provides an interesting example of a private park which had existed in various forms for 300+ years being donated to the community in 1930 by the family which had lived in the House since the 1880s but for whom the House and Park were no longer required (the heading picture shows a small part of this park). Furthermore in 1950s a local industrialist donated pasture fields to the south of the public park to be incorporated into the public area.
Public parks have evolved from various origins, private benevolence being one.
The article will become a pdf publication after publication of the Newsletter in June.